Give Me a Hug

Lewy recently developed some pressure sores on the outside of his heels when he suddenly took to staying in bed all day. He can no longer roll himself over and with his artificial knees he can’t really twist his legs or rotate his ankles very well. We tried rolling towels up and placing them under his legs to relieve the pressure on his feet, but invariably, Lewy would knock the towels off the bed and end up with his feet splayed out on the mattress, where they were bearing right on his sores.

Now we have a Home Health Service coming out 3 days a week to dress and clean Lewy’s bed sores. So far there have been two different ladies that have tended to his feet.

The first – I’m not sure of her actual title, but a Nurses Tech, I think came out and cleaned Lewy’s sores where they had collected dirt from me insisting that he not wear shoes or socks to in order to get some air to the sores. I had never seen a pressure sore before. The large black area around where the skin broke apart was pretty bad looking to me, but the nurses both assured me that it would be fine.

The second time the 20 something year old Nurse’s Tech came out Lewy was awake enough to say hi to her. What she didn’t know is that Lewy was and is still a dirty old man. She leaned over to say hi and look him in the eyes. He did his most pitiful hold the arms up for a hug routine.

I’ve seen this before…This is Daddy, not Lewy. I’m not sure Lewy could manage it, but Daddy – absolutely.

He raised his poor frail arms up in that pitiful brown eyed puppy look he can get and gave the NT his very best “give me a hug” con. She took the bait. “Oh you want a hug? Well I’ll hug you”. Oh yeah, he’s got her now.

She leaned over and put her arms around him as much as she could with him flat on his back. Daddy let his arms drop (around her - of course) forcing her down further than she had planned; and gave her a great big smooch.

She jumped up and squealed. Daddy was grinning and snickering. He was quite proud of that accomplishment. The NT leaned over him to playfully admonish him. As she was wagging her finger at him, he was reaching around to grab her butt.

Got Her!

She jumped and squealed again; then turned and looked at me like I could do something. Nope! He’s been like this all my life.

Again she admonishes him, and he gives her that innocent “What did I do?” face. Then looks at me and grins.

The NT got her supplies together and started working on Daddy’s feet. Within seconds he was staring at the ceiling completely oblivious to her pulling off the dead skin. He didn’t even respond when she leaned over to say goodbye.

Lewy was back.

Thanks for stopping by Daddy. It was good to see you again.