Nurse Goodbody

Lewy took a bit of a vacation yesterday and allowed Daddy a few moments to come out to play. It was a normal morning with Lewy. Fussing over not wanting anything to eat or drink. Just being plain stubborn if you really want to know the truth. I couldn’t even get him to eat that marvelous coconut pudding I made just for him. (It was so light and fluffy too. I’ve learned a lot from watching the Food Network.)

After an hour wrestling match to get some food in him, I gave him his anti anxiety meds, or my High Anxiety Meds…which ever you prefer…Yvonne, the beautiful South American lady was due out shortly to bathe him and change his bed. This woman is so incredible. She is gentle with him and so soft spoken and polite, and so thorough. I normally give him his anxiety meds before she comes so he won’t be so hard to handle. Sure enough, he was willing to cooperate when she came. Other than trying to latch onto her, me, the bed rail, and the wall with his vice grip, he behaved very well. No poop today. Damn! Yvonne always gets the clean days….

After his bath, Lewy fell fast and deeply asleep. Ah, the peace of the morning!

The phone rang. As I run for the phone, I see it has disturbed Lewy. Maybe I can get there before he gets rousted too much…..After the call, I tip toed around to peek…No, no such luck, Lewy was waving his arms in the air. I got him some Coke and it settled him down a bit. The first time he’d asked for Coke in a month. After a few more minutes, Lewy was sleeping again.

The phone rang. Oh Damnit!! I race to catch the phone. Again it rouses Lewy enough that he starts hollering about what am I doing while I’m still on the phone. Telephone conversations seem to really upset him. After a talk with the office, I went back in to check on Lewy. “Who was that? What did they want? Is there a problem? Did everyone get paid?”…..Lewy always worries about the job, the workers, and getting everyone paid…”No, Daddy, I was my office, everything is fine everyone got paid.” As soon as I got him settled…yep…the phone rang again…On a normal day, the phone might ring twice, if that. Yesterday was at least a 10 ringer….All day long.

Needless to say Lewy was agitated. It was getting near the time that Nurse Goodbody would arrive. I gave him his pain meds, because she has to scrub out the sores on his feet until they bleed. I’m sure it is very painful. Lewy dosed off.

Lewy continued to sleep and Nurse Goodbody was late. Very late today. By the time she arrived, Lewy’s pain meds were wearing off and there would not be enough time for a new round to kick in before the scrubbing commenced. So we decided to just rough it.

Nurse Goodbody walked around to the side of Lewy’s bed just in time for Daddy to wake up and be alert. She put her hand on his forehead and was saying some nice sweet things to him, when he rose up his arms for a hug. Next thing she knew Daddy had her in a bear hug pulling her down to him for a little smooch. Yep that’s Daddy…”I told you he was a dirty old man!”

Nurse Goodbody was finally released from his grip....maybe there had been a grope too. I would not be the least surprised.. She stood up, straightened her shirt up, looked down at Daddy and said…”Ooo you are a rascal aren’t you?”

She did all the nurse duties, then we set about to change his bandages on his feet. Normally Daddy is so drugged through this procedure he tends to nap through it…This time…Oh my; he was wide awake…When Nurse Goodbody took the pads and started scrubbing his open wound, Daddy almost raised up to a sitting position…”Ooooooooo!!! I didn’t do anything to deserve that!”

We both had to laugh. “Daddy, I told you - you best leave these nurses alone, they will hurt ya.” Nurse Goodbody smiled and nodded her agreement. After much pain and effort we got Daddy’s feet re bandaged and hooked up to the pumps….no leaks….yeah! Got it the 1st time…

Nurse Goodbody when back to Daddy’s bedside to tell him bye and that she was going on vacation and another nurse would be here Wednesday and Friday. I was standing across the bed from her during her goodbye speech. “Daddy, Nurse Goodbody is talking to you, why don’t you turn your head and look at her?” For some reason, Daddy never faces over to his right. I’ve tried many times to get him to look out the window at the buttercups, but he just would not do it.

Daddy stared at the ceiling for another 10 seconds then turned his head toward Nurse Goodbody, and his face just lit up. “There you are…” she said reaching over to pat him on the head. “I’m leaving now…”

Both Daddy’s arms went up for the hug and kiss goodbye, to which she happily responded. After the short embrace, Daddy looked her right in the eyes and said “I’ll miss you.”

Nurse Goodbody, smiled looked at me and said “Oh he is so sweet.”

“No, Nurse Goodbody, he is a Dirty Old Man…and proud of it.”

Daddy just smiled. The first smile I’ve seen since the surgery.


2 comments:

pearose said...
Twinkle eyes (my new name for Lewy) seemed to have a good day yesterday!

I almost called you yesterday, too, but thought better of it with Lewy most likely sleeping.

Maybe he'll look out the window today to see the flowers, which I'm sure count into the hundreds by this point.

oldfiend said...
oops!!! I did enjoy the vette story though!