Please Just let me Sleep….

Lewy says he slept better last night than he has in a long time. That’s great, because he made damn sure we didn’t. He has taken to calling out for us (not by our names but other people’s names, like former girlfriends…) every time he wakes up. He opens his eyes sees no one there and starts hollering.

Normally his voice is so weak you can barely make out what he says, but by golly if its 2 AM he can raise the roof.

“June……… June! ……….. JUNE!!!” (The old girlfriend’s name)

I stagger out of the bed. I’ve been asleep about 1 hour, and I’m not happy about being woken up. I’ve always had insomnia issues, so I REALLY do not like being rudely awakened. I make my way into the living room where Lewy now sleeps in his recliner.

“What do want Daddy?”

“Where is everybody?”

“Asleep!” I start to head back to bed.

“Where do you want me to go?” I turn around and head back to Lewy.

“I want you to go to sleep. Quit hollering. We have to get some sleep too.” I turn and head back for the bed…..Oh good; Lila got my on my spot and kept it warm. “Move Lila…good girl.” I crawl in get the covers pulled up, shut my eyes and try to blank out all the internal dialogue in my head….I’m drifting off…….

“June………. June! ………….. JUNE!”

Aw damn it. Please just let me sleep. I stay still, hoping he will give up and go back to sleep. I’m so tired, I ‘m sure…I…can…go…back……to…..sleep….

JUNE! …….. JUNE!!.......... JUNE!!!

Crap! I got up from the bed and went into see what was the matter. “What is it Daddy?” (You should detect a noticeable whine in my irritated voice) “What do you want this time?”

“What time is it?”

“It’s 3 AM!” Daddy, Please, Please let me go back to bed and get some sleep. OK?” I wait for an answer….”OK Daddy? Are you going to sleep now?” He started snoring. Good I turned around, rooted Lila off my spot and got back in bed….Hubbie reached over and patted me gently on the butt. That’s the after being married 31 years, a little “I’m sorry” pat…..Sympathy always helps.

The bed is so soft and warm, the fans are both buzzing, the dogs and cat are sleeping, oh yes…I’m …….just…about…asleep………….

Ding.

Ding ding.

Ding.

Huh? What is that?

Ding.

Ding.

DING!....What on earth? It sounds like metal against GLASS! My glass table top!!….I jump up run in the Living Room to see what he’s doing.

Lewy is lying there next to the side table with his copper cane whacking the table top. I grabbed it out of his hand. “What ARE YOU Doing!?!”

“Nothing”.

“You’re whacking the table with your cane.” I snarled as I tossed the cane over to the couch, way out of Lewy’s reach. “Daddy you MUST stop this. I have to sleep. I CANNOT stay up all night every night and work during the day. You’re killing me here. Can’t you JUST STOP!?!”

“Huh?”

“What do you want?”

“Nothing.” ………. I’m standing there, fist clichéd, my jaw tightening up, with that urge to strangle again……….Perhaps I should try to talk to him. Explain to him that if this continues, I will have no choice but to put him in a nursing home…

“Daddy. Daddy”….He’s asleep again.

Oh please, please just sleep….

And sleep he did until about noon when he woke up and was thrilled with his very restful night. The best night he’s had in a long time.

Wonderful! I’m soooo glad……