The Great Lava Flow

Daddy slept all day. After yesterday I was grateful for this sleeping. I don’t know if I should wake him up to give him drugs or if he’s better off without all that crap in his system. I have to wake him to feed him. We were able to get most of a yogurt cup, ½ of and egg, and a little chocolate ice cream. All those together were maybe 6 oz. of food for the day. He’s taking in less fluid too. Sucking was successful, only once today. Other wise we are using an eye dropper or a Nyquil cup to give him fluids.

There was the required cleaning up after the diarrhea. I got his bottom cleaned, and the catheter tube cleaned, and had the clean sheets and pads rolled under the dirty sheets and pads. Almost done. I turned to get the cream to smear on his butt to prevent rash and help protect the sore developing in his lower spine area. As I turned back to Lewy, the great lava flow began, and as much as my initial reaction was to consider plugging the hole, my fear of the consequences of doing so, froze me in place to watch this massive oozing forth.

All over the clean and the dirty linens.

Hubbie continued to hold him on to Lewy's side while I went for more rags, more soapy water, and more linens.

Again I had completed the whole procedure, and he did it again.

The first time I cussed a bit about it. This time I cried about it. All there was to do was start over again. I went through a roll and a half of toilet paper, 6 pans of hot water, and 3 different wash cloths.

Thankfully this time he was done. We rolled him over to a more comfortable position and started the bed rolling device. It hums ever so often. The foot pump clicks and hums all the time.

Lewy cannot raise his head. When I look into his half open eyes there is no life to see. They are grey and cloudy now. After waking him to feed him, he became agitated again and started pulling off his clothes and the covers. I didn’t want to, but I gave him some of the meds to calm him down.


Hopefully he will sleep until morning.


3 comments:
pearose said...
I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this situation. Maybe when his foot heals a little more, he'll feel better and the need for meds will be less. Hmmm...do you have any fleece blankets? Since they are washable, they may be worth a try as a cover. The material will keep him warm and won't fold around him like other materials, lightening the pressure he may feel on his skin. But then again, late stage dementia and the tossing of covers and clothes is fairly normal.

On the bright side, Spring is almost here. Gardening will help you release some of the tension buildup due to caregiving. And, you can open your windows for some fresh, flowery scent-filled breezes to air out your home.

Happy St. Patty's Day! Pinch Hubbie for me if he's not wearing anything green. Aw heck, pinch him anyway. :)

Stella said...
You are not hearing from me but I watch for and read every report about Mr Lewy. May you continue to have strength and good health to continue the care. I know you have the love to go on. Anger is good... be angry at the disease and what it is doing to you and Mr Lewy. perhaps it will help get the stress out. May Hubbie continue to fill your home with sassiness. You couldn't do this without that rascal.

oldfriend said...
Bless you my friend, there is light at the end of this walk.