Bring it On

There are just not enough good words to say about the hospice people. Everybody, down to the truck drivers are the nicest people. Perhaps they take some joy in knowing how much they are appreciated….at least I hope they know…

Lewy is sleeping.

It’s amazing how a trauma like surgery propels Lewys to the next stage. A week ago he was with us a little bit here and there. Now; Not so much…In this week and a half, he can no longer walk (for whatever reason); he has to be spoon fed instead of feeding himself; he went from constipated to incontinent; from peeing in his cup, to being catheterized; from toddling about to bed ridden.

If it were not for the prospect that Lewy’s legs would have had to have been amputated, there is no way, and with 20/20 hindsight I would put Lewy under sedation. I don’t know if it was the drugs, the trauma of surgery, the strange environment of the hospital, or all three, but keep your Lewys out of the hospital if you can.

When Daddy went in the hospital last spring, he came out much worse than when he went in. It was the same, less walking, less lucid talking, more sleeping, less eating.

Lewys; I believe don’t take to institutional care.



Hubbie here. Today’s lesson will be about government in action.

First off, I am not the political wing of this family. Pauline is politically active but, being an intelligent human, the actions of those that run the system baffle, frustrate and disappoint her. (Pauline, if you feel I have misstated please insert your words here………………………….). OK, so on with my oratory (yeah I know, but I read aloud as I type).

I always vote. It preserves my right to bitch about the government. But I don’t want to run for office. I don’t want to be president. I want to be king. But don’t worry, I only want the position for a day or two. Well, to be truthful, I want to be king for a day or two twice.

If I were King of the Forest:
1. Every political contribution would have to be matched by a social contribution. Equal money to a certified charity or similar organization to make the world a better place. Any candidate mentioning how much their campaign has raised for charity will be fined $10 million dollars and be forced to tell a joke of his own making on national television. On the second offense you must have sex with either Ronald or Nancy Regan. Yes I know he’s dead. You can have your choice.

2. Every LBO and hostile take over and company merger would be subject to impact fees. To help the displaced (i.e. Fired employees) and to limit the amount of money one can make from buying a company just to suck the juice out. I’ll call it the Vampire Elimination Act.

3. There would be a “Where in the World is Your Congressman or Senator?” website. They would be on TV 24/7. Hey, it’s a 24/7 job. We want to know where you are and there are a lot of us.

4. Any woman found running a “puppy mill” or similar operation, will be forced to breed children for adoption for the rest of her life. When she is no longer able to bear children she will join the men found guilty of this offense in cleaning the cages of animals waiting for adoption. And I want to see those cages REALLY clean. Housing would be provided in the “Mill Runners Kennel”. Free dry food and cold showers. (I really hate these people)

5. Frequent Fliers, like myself, would have secret airports. We would have no rules on the plane. Leave your tray up or down; we don’t care. I might allow tourists on the plane provided they had completed “how to fly training”. They must learn proper bag size, how airplane seats are numbered, how to get your ass out of the aisle and into the seat and how to stand up-grab your bag-and walk off a plane in 30 seconds. Children less than six years old will be allowed only on planes having a “nursery room” like churches have. If your child over six can’t behave on a plane for two hours then you are banished forever from Frequent Flier Flights.

6. My sixth rule is the one that requires a second term. I decree that the country set a course to develop a “stupid bomb”, one that would cause stupid people to drop dead; no pain, no warning, just drop dead. I know it sounds harsh and I have friends that will die if such a bomb is dropped but it must be done. A few years ago I thought only 15% or so if the people in the world were stupid. Today that number must be well over 25%. If by the time I am elected to a second term as King of the Forest that percentage still stands at 25% then I drop the bomb. Sorry but it must be done. Of course if you disagree you don’t have to vote for me.

In the words of Bill Cosby, “I told you that story to tell you this one”.

Pauline has touched a bit on how nice and friendly and efficient and helpful and kind and well organized and caring and full of knowledge and willing to share that knowledge the people are that we have met from “Alive Hospice”. They are amazing. They all know what they are doing. They are all willing to teach you what they know so that you can do it if they are not here. They are on duty 24/7 to help you in case you forgot what they taught you. They are angels.

For example….

I took off early today so I could watch some of the SEC Tournament games, the Tennessee game. And it was a good thing; they probably would not have won without my calming influence. Shortly after I arrived, the hospice nurse arrived. She checked and cleaned both of Lewy’s heels. She prepared and set a new dressing. She checked the sore on Lewy’s butt. She showed us how to get a pad under Lewy as he lay in bed and then how to use that pad to manipulate Lewy in his bed. She checked and adjusted his catheter. She explained to how best lock it in place and how to route the tubing. She knew what she was doing and she did it very well then she went a bit beyond to help out someone that could use the help.

She works for Alive Hospice.

She is typical of the people we have encountered in this organization.

Alive Hospice is funded by Medicare.

If this is government funded socialized medicine then please;…… bring it on.


1 comments:
pearose said...
Drugs administered in the hospital for pain (like morphine) have a HUGE impact on the elderly and increase disorientation. I hope Lewy becomes more lucid soon. And, I'm glad to know that Hospice is helping you out. It is such a wonderful organization.

Hubbie -
As far as I'm concerned, you are a King and the sociologist in me loves the idea of the social contributions. :) And the treatment of puppy mill creeps that abuse the animals. :)) And the Vampire Elimination Act (despite the fact that some companies don't need to be merged in a hostile takeover to suck the blood out of their own company. :)))

Not liking the idea of trying to find Bob Corker. His voice still gives me nightmares from the midterm election. I don't want to find him as much as he doesn't want to be found - we get along better that way.

Now Hubbie, we both know you're too pretty to fly - that's why you have problems on planes. The other passengers are jealous of you.

Thanks for being there for Tennessee. I have no doubt that your influence helped.