No Summer Today

Today was a beautiful spring day. The redbuds, crabapples, dogwoods, and the cherry trees are all in full bloom. With the temperature in the upper 70’s, I opened all the windows to air out the house. Daddy was obviously warm, so I turned on the ceiling fan.

There was something not right. I was not sure what it was…the cat box was clean….garbage was not smelly…didn’t smell like a skunk…

The nurse’s aide came in Summer’s place today. I guess Summer is no doubt attending funerals today. As she walked up, she was admiring the large ornamental cherry out side Daddy’s window, all full of smiles…then she walked in the house…I saw her nose crinkle up….Humm...it wasn’t just me.

I knew Daddy was a bit stinky, but it had been since Friday since he was bathed and it had been a tad warm. As Audrey proceeded to bathe Daddy, we quickly discovered what the smell was. Even though he has in a catheter, he managed to pee all in is diapers. Enough so that the two pee pads under him were soaked and the sheets under him were wet.

I had noticed the catheter bag didn’t have much in it, but I could tell there was pee going down the tube…It never occurred to me that he could pee like that. Audrey called Nurse Goodbody. She will be here first thing in the morning to see what’s up with the peeing.

We did the roll him over routine to pull out all the soiled linens. OMG! The smell was awful! I turned the fan on high. I could not get to the trash pail fast enough and to the washing machine fast enough. It was truly awful.

Even with all the windows open and the fan on high, the smell lingered. There must be something else going on with his kidneys or bladder for pee to be that rank.

After his bathing and the immediate removal of the trash bag with the toxic waste in it, Audrey was gone and Lewy was semi comatose. He’s been that way all day today.