Money Can't Buy Me Love

I had a doctor’s appointment today. It was to have been a joint session with Daddy, but he is never going to the doctor’s office again. I had to promise to get back on my meds, because since Daddy went into the hospital I have not gotten back into a daily routine. Perhaps that’s why I’m getting so scattered?

Physically, I’m doing great, mentally my head literally hurts. The bowl shaped pain that wraps the skull and pushes in kinda headache. My break down and cry at any opportunity headache.

Kindly my nephew’s wife sat here with Daddy so I could get out of the house. It felt good to know I could completely trust her. She administered meds, feed, and watered, and made efforts to communicate.

Today I had my last Dr. Appointment without Daddy, so I thought it fitting to go to get lunch at the (horrible) restaurant Daddy always wanted to go to for the last time.

Today was my first trip to the drug store in 7 years that I did not get meds for Daddy. Fortunately the weather was horrendous. I think we got 3-4 inches of rain. I managed to go to these events and not get caught crying because of the drenching rain.

But then I had to go to Daddy’s bank. Years ago Daddy started taking me to his bank to introduce me to his banker. For the last 11 years, I’ve gone with Daddy to visit the folks at his bank. Fortunately, long ago Daddy had my name put on his account as a signatory. It makes life much simpler that way. Daddy had a CD mature so I needed to go see about it. The bankers suggested because of interest rates being so bad, that I put the money in a savings account in my name alone. I would get a 2% better return, and it was now…no longer in Daddy’s name. I could not sit there and sign the papers without breaking down.

The bank officer that was handling the accounts went back to the Branch Manager, the man Daddy always came to see, and informed him of what was going on. He was immediately out expressing his regrets, recalled my Mother’s death, and how hard that was on Daddy. Then as any decent southerner would do, he placed his hand on my shoulder, looked me straight in the eye, and said, “If there is anything at all I can do, please let me know.”

I told him it might help if he would call Daddy to tell him all the money is all right; Lewy worries so about the money. The manager disappeared for a moment and returned with his business card with his personal cell number and his home phone number written on the back. “If you need me to come to the house and look at him, to tell him everything is fine, I’ll be happy to.”

He didn’t say so, but perhaps that is part of being a banker. Especially with this WWII generation; you found a banker, you stuck with them, and they knew you and every intimate detail about your finances. No business man could have been closer to Daddy.

I will ask the banker over and hope he can settle Daddy’s mind about his money. Perhaps that is the one thing that Daddy needs to let go.


2 comments:
Stella said...
Pauline, at the end of the day you will know that you have thought every thought and done every deed to make Daddy's days as worry free as possible. I hope all of you rest well tonight. Yes, the money is in the bank.


old friend said...
I thought of you lots today driving up the freeway and listening to Mr Russell. It rained off and on here too...but I think it was good, it cleanses away the dust of everyday living...