Kick Some Butt

Lewy was awake for several hours today. He started out by wanting Hubbie to get him several cups of ice water. We gave him more liquids to day than he has had in the last 4-5 days put together.

He had a class A #1 stinky bowel movement that would gag a maggot. Not messy. Stinky. My stomach! If you find yourself changing a Lewy in late stage LBD I highly recommend a mask. I don’t know that the LBD has anything to do with it, probably more bodily systems shutting down…but OMG!

With that taken care of Lewy decided he wanted to get out of the bed. This is the first time since we got the lift that he wanted to get up. Hubbie and I rolled him over in the half sheet tuck method the nurses use to change his sheets and got the lift pallet under him. (I also had the good sense to get it under Daddy’s satin pull sheet. ) We hooked up the chains and I pumped the hydraulic jack to lift Daddy up over his bed.

When lifted, it puts the person being carried in the sitting position. The pallet also has a handy hole in the seat of it for potty time. I’ll have to try that next time he needs to go. With my luck it will be spray instead of solid…all over the hardwood waxed floors. But still possibly worth the try.

We lifted him over to his recliner, pushed him in line properly and lowered him into the chair. It was nice to see Daddy sitting up but it was apparently not very comfortable for him. I had hoped he could sit up for a while but that was not happening so I pushed the recliner into a more prone position. Nope that won’t work either…it put the catheter uphill from his…..bladder.

Again we had him upright with the feet raised to their lowest position. Two seconds later Tweak was in his lap. Buddies together again, if only for a few minutes.

Daddy said he wanted to get back in the bed. We lifted him back up and over to the bed and put him back in with the pallet under him. Changing sheets will be so much easier on him and on me. I can do it by myself now....

And then Trey (Lewy’s grandson) and his wife Bonnie stopped by to visit. Bonnie is a quite polite person that you would never expect to be aggressive…but bless her…when she found out that my cousin and his wife had not visited Daddy in the hospital, or since we got him home, she went straight over to their house, banged on their door…went in and chewed them both a new one.

They came by the next day for a 30 minute visit.

Bonnie is still mad at them.

I’m loving it. You go girl. Kick some butt.



1 comments:

kddove said...
today i was scared to read you. i wondered after saturday if he was going downhill faster... i think the up-down back and forth is worse, sometimes. not to keep comparing my dog to your daddy (well, i guess i am)the same thing happens with her. just when i think she's done for, after a seizure or a fall... i take her out and she gallops/hops/runs and i could swear, she's smiling...