My Life with Bill Clinton

I don’t know why I think days like today are different, but for me, mentally anyway, they are. The only difference really is Hubbie is traveling over night. I have always enjoyed my “alone” time. Now days there is no alone time except when Lewy is sleeping.

So today, I thought I would finish up my office work early, get the trash taken out, do some house cleaning, then I could have some “me” time. All that was necessary was for Daddy to sleep. I noticed recently, that he seemed to sleep uninterrupted for about 24 hours if I gave him his Seroquel. I had even switched his dose to a half dose and was giving it to him at bedtime to assure a good nights sleep. So far it had worked every time.

But not today. This morning I feed him and gave him as much fluids as he would take; about a normal full day’s worth. Then I crushed his meds, including a full day’s dose of the Seroquel and fed them to him with some Banana Crème yogurt. Lewy has been awake all day.

Lewy has a special knack for waiting until I’ve started working on something, especially office work, to then start talking to me. Time after time I get up and go see what it is Lewy wants. Most of the time, he can’t recall why he hollered. Some times he insists that it was me that hollered for him.

This afternoon, while I was cleaning up in the kitchen, Lewy had me drop what I was doing to go stand by his bed to hear the question….”Ain’t that Bill Clinton standing there?”

I had to turn to look….

“No, Pappy, I don’t think so. The Hilldog has a tight leash on that puppy.”

“Well it sure looks like him.”

……“Yep, your right, he does look like Bill.”

Back to rule number 1. Never argue with a person with dementia. It is pointless. Hubbie takes it on a fun challenge. I get frustrated after about the second sentence.

I have fed Daddy a second time today, blended pork tenderloin and turnip greens, butterscotch pudding, and a root beer. Pretty yummy actually.

He has finally fallen asleep. Yeah! Me Time! Check y’all later.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...
I'm having to post on anonymous...can't seemt o get the pass word right for my ID?

Just wanted to say enjoy your "me" time Pauline, you deserve it.
Dee


Anonymous said...

After 40+ years of being married to someone who traveled, I did get used to Me Time also. His retirement was a challenge, but nothing compared to Lewy Time, in which 15 minutes of Me Time is about max. Yes, it is difficult to produce when interruptions come mid-sentence. Don't stress - we understand. It may help to realize that he really wants is your company, and misses the Together Time that you once had.
Di
I'm still having trouble with the password thing also.


pearose said...

Maybe you have discussed this subject, but Seroquel is a very controversial drug for dementia patients and has caused many problems for the elderly. Has your doctor talked to you about any of the side effects? It may be one of the reasons your Dad won't look to his right side to view the outdoors.

Just curious...


Sammie Jo Mitchell said...

Dee and Di;
I am sorry you are having issues with the comments. Blogger is acting up lately more than it normally does.

Have you tried clicking on the "Name/URL" button? You can then just type in any name you want. There should be no passwords on that button.

Thanks for reading and commenting.