Good Bye Yellow Brick Road

Last night when it was time to get Lewy ready for bed, we did the normal things. I helped him stand up from the recliner. Held his hands until he steadied himself, handed him his cane and we started our ever so slow toddle to the bathroom.

While Lewy was doing his business, I was putting on clean sheets fresh out of the dryer and new pee pads. Three layers of them.

Hubbie, who is quite the audiophile, was playing some Elton John.

I had finished making up Lewy’s bed when an uncontrollable urge came over me to dance to the music. I’m not much of a dancer. My dancing would be best described as the way hippies who were high on LSD used to dance in the 60’s. You know, arms all over…they look like they think they’re floating…mostly goofy looking...that’s my dance style.

On the other hand, Lewy was not so long ago an accomplished ball room dancer.

I was doing my arm waving thing to the music when Lewy appeared from the bathroom. What caught my attention was in my peripheral vision, Lewy was waving his arms. Only he actually seemed to be in rhythm to the music. He almost skipped a step or two.

What normally is a torturously long time from door to bedside, took 3 seconds- tops. Lewy was dancing. Elton John was giving him the urge to move. We held hands and twisted our hips, and did all sorts of dancy things, when Lewy pushed my hand back. (His dancing signal that I should move backwards). Lewy dropped my hand and continued to dance, more and more looking like he was mocking my hippie style.

He did motions of washing his hands and slinging off the excess water. A little hula started, then at the end of the song, perfectly in time with Good Bye Yellow Brick Road, he put his left hand cupped under his right arm and made arm farts to the music.

Hubbie and I were rolling. Lewy was laughing out loud.

Then the music stopped. And then Lewy stopped.

Everything was back to normal.

Pauline



2 comments:
Anonymous said...
But for a few brief moments your dad reached out to you. Oh what a wonderful memory to cling to.

Sammie Jo Mitchell said...
yeah.