Advice From a Friend

.
.
.
Those of you who are dealing with Lewy Body Dementia realize that Pauline did not start this blog early in Lewy’s trip down the crooked brick road. He is well into the D part of LBD. Some time ago we were only dealing with one imaginary person in our house. It had, in fact, been going on for a while before I found out about it. Of course, in typical husband fashion I found out the hard way by putting my foot in my mouth.

One evening Pauline was fixing dinner. Lewy was at his normal post, sitting on his stool at the kitchen counter. I had just changed clothes after a long day of hunting and gathering and was pouring myself a beer. Lewy was consulting Pauline about the eighteen year old girl that had been sleeping in his bed. Being the smart ass I am, I looked Lewy in the eye and said “You’re sleeping with an eighteen year old?!” Lewy got this big goofy grin on his face and began to mumble a bit. “Damn!” I continued. Just as I was about to ask if the girl slept in the nude I caught Pauline’s eye. I’ve seen that look before. It was time to shut my ass up. Later when we were alone, it was explained to me that Lewy was very disturbed by the presence of the girl in his bed. He was deeply afraid that he would be accused of statutory rape. He was really worried about what to do about the girl. Jeez, I love it when I’m stupid. It’s such a boost to my self-esteem.

Sometime later I related this story to Nifer. Nifer is one of our oldest and best friends. She was, at the time, the sole provider for her father. He did not have LBD. He was just a crotchety old beer drinking sailor. I liked him a lot, rest his soul.

Anyway, I told Nifer about the girl in Lewy’s bed and how it bothered him.

Without missing a beat Nifer looked me in the eye and said, “Tell him she’s 21.”

Ockham’s razor. The simplest answers are always the best.

Hubbie