Lewy's Last Night

Lewy is safely tucked away at the local hospice. Out of fear of loosing him in the middle of the night, and the extra 2-3 hours it would take to get him pronounced and transported into Vanderbilt, I wanted him moved here so we could have a bit more time should a hiccup happen.

It’s almost midnight. I’ve been sleeping in the floor next to him. Even though this little trundle bed is not very comfortable, it is the best sleep I’ve had since Sunday night. No doubt it is just one less worry gone from my mind.

The doctor who examined him when he arrived said we maybe had 48 hours, but listening to his breathing…I don’t know…it is getting slower; definitely slower. For some reason the eyes that had not opened in days opened during the ambulance ride here. We tried to shut them, but they refused to be closed. So now his glazed eyes stare at the ceiling.



2:50 AM

I had been lying on the bed in the floor next to Daddy, listening to his every breath. They are now separated by many seconds and are very shallow. I thought I’d look at his feet to see this marbling the doctor told me I would see.

His feet were now cold. They’ve been really hot for the last couple of days.

I looked up at his face, still the cold stare at the ceiling. He took a tiny breath.

And that was it. I waited for the next one, but it did not come. I felt his chest, and then the jugular, I could not detect any beat at all. I went into the hall and told the nurse I thought he had passed. She came in directly and listened, then took her flash light and pointed it into each eye. There was no reflex.

She reached up and closed his eye lids. She pronounced him at 2:56 AM.

I called Hubbie.

The Hospice ladies faxed and called Harvard, Faxed and called Vanderbilt. I called the funeral home for the transport vehicle.

It is now 5:40AM. We are home, and the Funeral Director called and said the body was delivered, the receiving personnel knew who Daddy was and exactly what to do.

So Daddy is on his way to Harvard. Do great things, Daddy, Do great things.


14 comments:

pearose said...
Good night, Lewy. It's been a pleasure knowing you.


Dee said...
Rest in peace now dear Mr Lewy, i'll miss you.

Anonymous said...
God bless you, Pauline and Hubbie for your loving kindness to your Daddy. You ran the race alongside him and honored and respected him...may your rest be peaceful and deep now.


3rd Wife said...
I am proud to have known Lewy.
Pauline and Hubbie--you did good.

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” Robert Benchley

I think a little bit of Lewy will on in all of us who followed his struggles...


3rd Wife said...
that was supposed to be "live on in all of us..."

typing through tears..


kddove said...
He knows how much you loved him. You proved it every day.


Dee said...
Deeeeeep breath...grabbing the tissue box...letting out a sigh of relief that Lewy's iron-clad grip on him has been released.
My very best to all of you.


hassana said...
Your love will always be with him, may he rest in peace, God bless you Pauline and Hubbie


Stella said...
My prayer was, "Whatever is best for Daddy". My prayer was answered. Why do I weep? My prayer is now one of thanksgiving.


Rose said...
As I've read your blog, I've chuckled at the old stories and at the spark that seemed to be in your father until the very end. Then I grieved as the spark was being extinguished. I won't forget him.

You have my sympathy and my deep respect. Despite how hard it was, you stayed the course until the end and took wonderful care of your father.


Anonymous said...
I accidently found this site when my husbands grandmother was diagnosed with LBD last month. I read every entry. I laughed and cried, but right now I feel sad. What you did for your father was nothing short of wonderful and I can only hope my husand and I can provide as much love and understanding to our "lewy" as you guys did. May God bless you both.


swruthie said...
Hope hubby told you I came by. Glad you were resting. Hadn't gotten "the word" - phone call came after I had already gone downtown Th pm, then didn't get "final word" till after I stopped by. Will try to come by Sat. Can't promise - will call if I don't make it. Thinking of you! Deep breath.


Mark said...
God bless....my mum who I told you about with LBD passed away yesterday 9th May about 1820 UK time, I had visited in the lunch time and prayed aloud for her and told her I loved her and not to be afriad, that God loved her, her breathing was not good. I returned to work at 2pm and felt the urge to return to her at 6pm I walked into the room where her resting position had just been changed, she was wearing a oxygen mask and had passed away as I walked in, I called the nurse and awaited the arrival of dad and siblings, I miss her so much, I had to break the news to my 8yr old son , it was awful we slept in the same bed and cried ourselves to sleep.......


Stella said...
To Mark. May God bless you and give you and your son peace as you tend to the duties required. Thank you for sharing your sadness with us... May it lessen your burden a wee bit.